Guided Alaska Backpacking
Trips and Photo Tours
For nearly 15 years I’ve been guiding small, customized backpacking trips into remote Alaska. My knowledge and experience, together with Alaska’s raw wildness, provide an unparalleled adventure. I offer guided backpacking, hiking, camping and photography trips in Alaska, including Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, Gates of the Arctic National Park.
Browse the site to find the trip that’s right for you. Expeditions Alaska also offer custom backpacking trips and basecamps, as well as rafting trips, sea kayaking trips, photo tours and day trips. If it’s adventure you’re seeking, I’m absolutely positive that I can accommodate you.
Expeditions Alaska offer a diversity of adventures, from the perfect family basecamping vacation, to more adventurous rugged backpacking trips in the heart of Wrangell – St. Elias National Park. Regardless of your skill and experience, what kind of trip you seek, from basecamping and dayhiking, to more strenuous remote backpacking, to glacial traverses, to rafting, photography trips and more, I’m absolutely positive that I can accommodate you.
The experience of a backpacking trip into the backcountry of Alaska is an unforgettable adventure; the soaring, jagged peaks, the primordial feel of a true wilderness, its rolling tundra, teeming wildlife and majestic terrains.
1) The Bremner Mines to Tebay Trip is a 14 day backpacking adventure for the hardy soul. I’m the only operator to guide this trip, and the route rarely sees anyone else. This backpacking trip is great for intermediate to experienced hikers.
2) Another backcountry photo tour to Skolai Pass, in Wrangell – St. Elias National Park. 6 nights in the backcountry, basecamping and hiking in some of the most spectacular mountain country in North America. Photography is the primary aim of this trip. We concentrate on catching the great light of the Alaskan summer, shooting incredible scenery at the peak of the wildflower bloom.
3) Upper Sanford to Dadina River Trip One of the few commercial trips available on the rarely visited north side of Wrangell St. Elias National Park, this one passes through some absolutely SPECTACULAR country in the heart of the Wrangell Mountains. Few people have hiked in this area, yet the views from the Sanford Plateau are absolutely the equal of any. It’s also one of the very few places in Alaska that backpackers might see bison.
4) The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is a classic trip. Rafting and hiking 3 different rivers, the Marsh Fork, the Canning and the Staines Rivers, to the Beaufort Sea and the arctic ocean! This is a fantastic trip that will book quickly, so plan ahead.
6) Grizzly Bear Photo tour: An amazing experience. One week of concentrated grizzly bear photography, in that most of beautiful of settings, Katmai National Park. There’s simply no other bear photo tour like it.
I’m an accomplished and well-published professional nature photographer. If you read Backpacker Magazine, you’ve probably already seen my photos, and I’m a regular credited contributor to other national and international publications. Be sure to browse the various stock photo galleries on this site for a look at selections of my work and the places where I guide. I’m currently working on a photography book on Alaska’s Wrangell – St. Elias National Park and Preserve. For a complete look at my wildlife and landscape photos visit the stock photography website, Skolai Images; an ever-growing portfolio of bears, bison, pronghorn, moose, foxes, coyotes, wolves and birds, along with landscapes from North America, including the Canadian Rockies, Glacier National Park in Montana and various parks and wild places in Alaska.
A in Icy Bay – National Geographic Adventure magazine calls it one of the 10 coolest places on earth!
A favorite posted on the blog.
Regular updates, more photos, videos and conversation.
(ph) 770. 952 4549